Thursday, May 12, 2011

Three Royal Margarita's


My name is Margarita Theresa of Spain, and I am the Holy Roman Empress, German Queen, Archduchess consort of Austria, Queen consort of Hungary and Bohemia.


I was born on 12 July 1651 in Spain, Madrid. I am the daughter of King Philip IV of Spain and his second wife Mariana of Austria, and I am the elder sister of Charles II the Bewitched, the last of the Spanish Habsburgs.

I left my native Spain at the age of 15 and traveled to Austria. There I married my uncle Leopold I, Holy Roman Emperor. Our wedding took place in the city of Vienna, on 12 December 1666. Despite the difference in our ages, some 11 years, we were very happy together, as we shared a number of interests, especially theatre and music.
My only surviving child was Archduchess Maria Antonia of Austria, future Electress of Bavaria.

I died at the young age of 21. You can visit my grave in the Imperial Crypt, in Vienna.
_________________





My name is Princess Margaret Rose Windsor, Countess of Snowdon, and I am the younger sister of Elizabeth II and the younger daughter of King George VI and his wife Queen Elizabeth. I was born on 21 August 1930 in Scotland.


After the WWII I fell in love with Group Captain Peter Townsend, my father’s equerry. Many in the government felt that Townsend was an unsuitable husband for the Queen's sister, and the Church of England refused to countenance the marriage. Under pressure, I accepted the proposal of the photographer Antony Armstrong-Jones, who was created Earl of Snowdon by Elizabeth II. The marriage, despite an auspicious start, soon became unhappy; we divorced in 1978.

I was often viewed as a controversial member of the royal family. My divorce earned to me negative publicity. My health gradually deteriorated for the final two decades of my life; a heavy smoker all my adult life, I had a lung operation in 1985, a bout of pneumonia in 1993, and at least three strokes between 1998 and 2001. I died at King Edward VII Hospital, London, on 9 February 2002. You can visit my grave in the George VI Memorial Chapel at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle.
______________________________________________________________



My name is Margrethe Alexandrine Þórhildur Ingrid, and I am the Queen regnant of the Kingdom of Denmark. In 1972 I became the first female monarch of Denmark since Margrete I, ruler of the Scandinavian countries in 1388-1412 during the Kalmar Union.


I was born at Amalienborg Palace, to Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Ingrid, on 16 April 1940.

I studied prehistoric archaeology at Girton College, Cambridge during 1960–61, political science at Aarhus University between 1961–1962, at the Sorbonne in 1963, and at the London School of Economics in 1965, and is a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries of London.

On 10 June 1967 I married a French diplomat, Count Henri de Laborde de Monpezat, at the Naval Church of Copenhagen. He received the style and title of "His Royal Highness Prince Henrik of Denmark" because of his new position as the spouse of the Heiress Presumptive to the Danish throne.
I am fluent in my native tongue, Danish, the native tongue of my husband, French, as well as English, Swedish and German.

My father King Frederik IX died on 14 January 1972. On the occasion of my accession to the throne, I became the first female Danish Sovereign under the new Act of Succession.

My official motto is: God's help, the love of The People, Denmark's strength.
I am an accomplished artist and costume designer.

2 comments:

  1. Gosh, three stunning ladies! I don't know which is prettier! And my memories of Princess Margaret are of a rather strange old lady. I never knew you had been so beautiful in your youth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margaret Rose, looks a lot like Queen Elizabeth II when she was a girl, i know they are sisters, but the likeness seems really close even for sisters and Queen Elizabeth looks alot like The Queen Mother, wouldn't you agree?

    ReplyDelete